Opportunity Awaits. Join our highly motivated team and lead a crew you can count on! Your Exceptional Career with Winter Haven Water Starts Here.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Tracks the performance of the utilities’ water distribution, sanitary sewer and reclaimed water systems identifying areas of future improvements and/or repair and maintenance. Assists with the development of new programs to improve the operation and maintenance of the various utility systems. Assists with the development of the division’s annual budget. Plans, schedules, coordinates, and participates in the construction, repair, operation, and maintenance activities of utility crews responsible for maintaining the public water distribution, sanitary sewer collections, and distribution and reuse distributions systems. Delegates work assignments to crew leaders and/or members; follows up with crew leaders and/or members, and inspects work areas to ensure that assignments have been completed safely, properly, and in an efficient manner. Performs the same work assigned to crew leaders and/or members, if needed. Oversees the placement of traffic control devices in and along roadway/waterways to avert traffic from site of construction and repair/replacement operations. Interprets plans, drawings, wiring diagrams and specifications to locate problem areas and analyze the most efficient means for effecting installation, repair, and replacement assignments. Capable of transporting, setting up, and operating portable pumping equipment to expel fluids from areas as necessary. Capable of supervising safe entry into confined spaces to install and maintain reuse/force mains, gravity sewers, manholes, and water piping; capable of supervising operation of television and jet/vac equipment to inspect and/or clean damaged or blocked utility lines; utilizes hand and power tools to perform work. Prepares and maintains written and computerized record of work assignments, materials utilized, equipment and vehicle condition, manpower, and related safety concerns. Operates motor vehicles and light trailers on public/private roadways to travel to various locations throughout the utility service area to perform work. Must be available outside regular work hours to perform assigned duties and respond to emergencies. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive listing of essential job functions; the performance of other essential functions may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Thorough knowledge of the utility construction and repair process for water, sanitary sewer and
reuse lines as well as lift stations, sewer system, and electrical panels.
• Knowledge of centrifugal pumping equipment and troubleshooting for maintenance and repair.
• Knowledge of confined space access specifications, maintenance of traffic (MOT) procedures, communicable disease control standards, and other safety precautions and concerns.
• Must be computer literate and possess the ability to understand, interpret, explain, and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Ability to plan and coordinate the work of labor crews; establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees and the public; and perform physical work outside under adverse weather conditions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
• Two year Associates Degree in related fields preferred.
• Two years’ experience in supervision of utility pipe crews.
• Four years’ experience in construction, operation, and maintenance of utility piping systems.
• Must possess a valid Level 2 Water Distribution license or the ability to obtain within one year of employment.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that is determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
• Possession of a valid Class B drivers’ license with air brake and tanker endorsements and a good driving record as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
• Possession of a valid Intermediate M.O.T. Certification and Confined Space Supervisory Certification or the ability to obtain within six months of employment.
• Absence of non-prescribed controlled substances in the applicant’s system as verified through a screening process administered by a laboratory approved by the City of Winter Haven.
• Must have the physical ability, strength, and flexibility to perform the job functions in the work environment.
• Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional service.