Working in the City’s Parks, Recreation & Cultural Department directly with the Landscape Maintenance Crew Leader II to ensure work crews are operating efficiently and effectively.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Assumes the duties of the Crew Leader II in his or her absence. Assists with maintaining work assignment logs and provides input related to employee performance evaluations as needed. Performs manual labor tasks and safely operates tractors and mowers, dump trucks, pick-up trucks, zero turn mowers, backhoes, edgers, weed-eaters and other assigned equipment, both on and off the highway, for most of the work day. Washes, cleans and performs routine first echelon maintenance on assigned equipment; prior to operating, checks fluid levels, tire pressure, filters, belts, etc. Performs manual labor tasks under varying weather conditions; tasks include de-littering parks and medians; emptying waste receptacles; removing and planting shrubbery, annuals, trees, etc.; mowing grounds, edging and trimming shrubbery, planting, cultivating and fertilizing plants and shrubs; clearing brush; digging excavations; and generally maintains the landscape of City facilities, parks, medians and other grounds. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive listing of essential job functions; the performance of other essential functions may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the operation, maintenance and use of zero turn mowers, dump trucks, tractors, backhoes and other less complex equipment.
• Knowledge of traffic and highway safety rules and regulations.
• Knowledge of the hazards involved in the use of equipment and the safety precautions to be taken.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Physical strength and agility sufficient to perform strenuous laboring tasks under varying weather conditions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
• Two years experience in routine maintenance of landscape areas and the use and operation of related equipment.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that is determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
• Possession of a valid Florida Drivers’ license with a good driving record as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
• Absence of non-prescribed controlled substances in the applicant’s system as verified by a laboratory approved by the City of Winter Haven.
• Must have the physical ability, strength and flexibility to perform the job functions in the work environment.
• Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
“EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional service.