ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Independently and under the direction of the Technology Service Department Director, provides strategic leadership in planning, developing, implementing, training and maintaining the City’s fiber enterprise network and its service quality deliverance.
• Negotiates contracts and manages all outside contractors to ensure specific goals and timelines are met.
• Manages dark fiber lease agreements.
• Develops short and long term strategies for the business unit and initiates system improvements.
• Ensures compliance with applicable State and Federal regulations and all company policies and procedures.
• Coordinates with other departments to provide fiber to facilities and when necessary, construction
• Oversees configuration, testing and acceptance, construction, monitoring, maintenance, troubleshooting and repairing of the fiber network and associated equipment to ensure the integrity of the network.
• Researches and forecasts future network equipment needs to ensure network reliability.
• Establishes and maintains any/all updates to internal controls and standard practices.
• Develops and maintains fiber enterprise expense and capital budgets.
• Defines training requirements and assures technicians receive required training and certification for job level.
• Commits to performing job tasks in a manner that ensures a safe work environment for all employees.
• Willing and cooperatively performs other related duties as assigned by management.
• Responsible for department responding to after hour emergency calls.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Ten (10) or more year’s recent industry experience in the design, installation, operation, and management of a fiber network. Prior experience managing outside contractors is required. Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade. Ability to prepare technical reports. Ability to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and communicate effectively with supervisor, other City employees, and the general public, both verbally and in writing.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Telecommunications, Business or related area required or High School diploma and 10+ years recent equivalent experience in the management of a fiber operations network required.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Absence of non-prescribed controlled substances in the applicant's system as verified by a laboratory approved by the City of Winter Haven. Possession of a valid Florida Class E drivers’ license and a good driving record as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
NOTE: A City of Winter Haven Application Must be Completed and Submitted to Human Resources.
PHYSICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Must have the physical ability, strength and flexibility to perform the job functions in the work environment. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.