Click here to return to the E-Government Services start page

Welcome to the Town of Payson, AZ, FAQ
Today is Saturday, July 21, 2018.

Search FAQ:


Building Department

When do I need a Building Permit?
You need to obtain a Building Permit when you construct, add to, or alter a building. There are a few exceptions to this rule, however, we recommend that you first contact the Building Department before you trust the word of a friend or neighbor in regards to when a permit is required. A simple phone call can save a lot of time as well as expense. (928) 472-5030 or email questions to

How long does it take to get a Building Permit?
Typically, for a single-family residential or duplex project, it takes 10 working days to obtain a permit after plans have been submitted to this department for review. The timeframes for commercial projects are typically longer as commercial projects are much more complicated to review and the plan requirements are more stringent. A commercial review will be completed and initial comments will be delivered to the customer within 20 working days.

When do I call for inspections?
Inspections are typically required to be requested by the owner or contractor prior to concealing any type of construction process from view, or just prior to putting a piece of equipment into use, such as an electrical panel. This process could be as simple as calling in the required footing inspection needed prior to the placement of concrete in a footing. In this inspection the footing depth, width, and reinforcement must be inspected before the concrete is place. Placing the concrete before the inspection would not allow the inspector to visually verify that all of the required components of this inspection have been installed as required. If you are uncertain whether an inspection is required please call in prior to covering anything up.

What inspections do I need?
This depends on the type of project you are constructing. Please refer to the Residential Building Permit Plan Requirements document found in the Online Documents/Building Dept. portion of this web-site.

Do I need an architect?
If your project includes a single or two family residential unit, or an addition or alteration to a single or two family residential unit, the answer is no. If your project is a commercial building and the building is at least 3000 square feet, or if the occupant load of the building is 20 or more, or if there is a structural member that is spanning at least 20' that is not part of an engineered system, a registered professional is required to design the building.

Do I need a permit to build a fence or retaining wall on property owned by me?
You do not need a Building Permit if the fence that you are planning to build is 6' or less in the rear of the property or 4' or less in the front of the property. We do, however, recommend that you consult with this department prior to constructing your fence to make sure that this fence will affect no Town Right of Way or easements. Retaining walls 4' or more in height, require that engineering be provided for the design of the wall and that a permit be issued prior to the start of construction.

Will you call me when the plans have been reviewed and are ready to be picked up?
Due to the complexities of commercial plan review, these are the only projects that typically receive a call when plans are ready for pick up. Residential projects are given a ten day, completion schedule and may be picked up at that time. If any problems arise on a residential plan review that could affect the turn around time a call is placed to the responsible party as soon as this is discovered.

What are the hours for construction work?
Town of Payson Ordinance #421 sets the construction start/stop times as follows: From June 1 to September 1, inclusive, all such construction or repair work shall not begin prior to 5:00 A.M. and must stop by 10:00 P.M. each day. From September 2 to May 31, inclusive, all such construction or repair work shall not begin prior to 6:00 A.M. and must stop by 10:00 P.M. each day. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herin, such construction, repair, industrial, and manufacturing work shall not being prior to 6:00 A.M. and must stop by 10:00 P.M. on any Saturday, Sunday or State or Federal Holiday.

Are toilet facilities required on construction sites?
Town of Payson Ordinance #450 requires toilet facilities for the maintenance of public health, all worksites and construction sites within the Town of Payson for all workers and patrons. Please do not hesitate to contact the Building Department with suggestions to improve this portion of our web-site.

Business License

How much is the business license?

INITIAL $40.00
RE-NEWAL $40.00

INITIAL $70.00
RE-NEWAL $50.00

INITIAL $90.00
RE-NEWAL $70.00

INITIAL $90.00
RE-NEWAL $50.00

How do I know if I need a license?
If you are conducting business in Payson Town limits, you are required to have a business license.

How long does it take to receive a business license?
Out of Town licenses are issued the day the application is received, all others take about 5-7 working days to approve.

When does the license renew?
A business license is good one year from the time it is issued.

Who has to approve the license?
Planning & Zoning, Fire, Water and Building Departments must approve all town business licenses.

Do they have to inspect my building?
Commercial buildings are inspected by both Fire & Water Departments. Home based businesses are usually not inspected.

Do I need an AZ Tax ID number?
If you are selling items, yes, if you are just a service, most of the time no. You can call Arizona Department of Revenue for more information or you can find them on the web at

Is the license good for other Towns or Cities in Arizona?
No, the license is only good for the Town of Payson.

Dog License

Do I have to license my dog?
A Town of Payson license is required on all dogs over four (4) months old that reside within the town limits.

How do I obtain a dog license?
Town of Payson dog tags are issued by the Humane Society of Central AZ at 605 W Wilson Court, Payson AZ. 928-474-5590

When does my dog license expire?
A license will be issued for a period to run concurrently with the dog’s current rabies vaccination, for a period of one (1), two (2), or three (3) years, but in no event shall the licensing period exceed the period of time for the revaccination.

Fire Department

How can I get my smoke detectors checked?
Call the Fire Department at 472-5120 to schedule an appointment. We'd be happy to come to your home and check your smoke detectors. You can also check your smoke detectors by pressing the button on the front until it activates. If it doesn't activate, your battery should be replaced. Smoke detectors have a limited life span; if your smoke detector is more than ten years old it should probably be replaced.

What are the hours for the Fire Department office?
The Administrative Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. We are closed during the lunch hour from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. If you have an emergency, call 911.

What are the operating hours and locations of the BRUSH PITS?
The Blattner Pit is located on Hwy. 260 at M.P. 259.7. It is open on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Pine Pit is located on Hwy. 87. Go East on the Control Rd. about 1/4 of a mile. This pit is open on Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Can I get my car seat checked? How long does this take?
Call 928-472-5120 to make an appointment. It usually takes approximately one hour. We have a certified Safety Seat Inspector at 400 W. Main St.

What is a Guardian Angel Unit and how do I get one?
What the Fire Department calles the Guardian Angel Unit is a small heart shaped pendant that a person wears around the neck. It can be worn even in the shower. A unit is hooked up to a phone line. If you fall or need help, you can press the button on your pendant and it dials the preprogrammed phone number in it. That person can be anyone who can come to your house and help you. If you need medical help, they can call 911 for the Police Department to respond. You can get one installed by calling the Police Department at 472-5065.


What does the Housing Rehab program do?
The housing rehab program was created to provide safe, decent, and affordable housing for low- to moderate-income families. The program addresses a variety of home improvement needs, such as heating and cooling, plumbing, and electrical repairs. It also includes the replacement of some mobile or manufactured homes.

Who is eligible for the Housing Rehab program?
If you own your home, have lived there for at least 12 months, and your annual gross household income is within 80% of the Gila County median (see income chart) you may be eligible for assistance from the Town of Payson's housing rehabilitation program. Qualified applicants must provide verifiable income information, proof of homeowner's insurance and maintain a code-compliant property.

I have a mortgage on my home. Am I still eligible for the program?
Yes, as long as mortgage payments are current and the mortgage is held by an approved lender. The loan payment amount must also be within program guidelines.

Do I have to re-pay the money used to repair or replace my home?
The Town provides assistance in the form of no-interest, forgivable loans. A portion of the loan is forgiven each year until the entire amount is forgiven. If the homeowner sells or transfers the property before the loan is forgiven the balance must be re-paid to the Town.

How do I apply?
Please print the application on the Housing page and return it to Doni Wilbanks at the Town of Payson Community Development Building, 303 N. Beeline Hwy., Payson, AZ 85541. A copy of the application and additional application information can also be picked up at the same address.

I still have questions who should I contact?
Please call Doni Wilbanks at (928) 472-5038 or email her at

Legal Department

What is the difference between the Town of Payson Attorney's Office and the Gila County Attorney's Office?
The Gila County Attorney's Office is a county department headed by an elected County Attorney. It engages in criminal prosecution of all felony matters in Gila County (such as murder, robbery, sexual assault) and prosecution of all criminal misdemeanors outside of the four incorporated cities in the county. It also represents the county as its attorney in all civil matters.
The Town Attorney's Office has both civil representation functions and criminal prosecution functions. The office is headed by the Town Attorney, Hector Figueroa, who is appointed by the Town Council. The Town Attorney represents the Town of Payson as its attorney and advises the Mayor and Town Council, Town Manager, Department Heads and Town related Council Advisory Committees on all legal matters that may affect the Town's interest(s). The Town Attorney's Office also has a criminal prosecution division, overseen by the Town Attorney and managed by the Deputy Town Attorney/Prosecutor, Mary Bystricky. The office prosecutes all State and Town Code misdemeanor offenses that occur within the Town limits and advises city enforcement personnel.

Where can I get a copy of an ordinance or provision of the Town Code?
The Town's Code is now available on-line or you may contact the Town Clerk's Office at 928-474-5242 x5000.

Is the Town of Payson Attorney's Office "my lawyer" if I live in the Town?
No. The Town Attorney''s Office does not represent individuals in private legal matters. Attorneys in the office represent Town departments and agencies in the course of their "business" as Town entities, employees acting within the course of their employment, and the State of Arizona on criminal misdemeanor matters. Private legal matters must be handled by attorneys retained by the individual. For referral numbers, see the local phonebook for attorney ads or contact the State Bar of Arizona in Phoenix at (602)252-4804. You may also wish to check with Legal Aid at 1-800-852-9075.

If I receive a subpoena from the Town Prosecutor, do I have to go to court?
Yes, you do. Failure to appear in court in response to a subpoena is a violation of a court order. The court may send a law enforcement officer to arrest you if you do not appear. However, if your subpoena indicates that you may be placed on call, contact the witness coordinator at the number provided on the subpoena and provide a means of contact on the trial date. If you are called on the trial date, you then must appear promptly. You must also appear if summoned for jury duty.

Can I file a complaint against my neighbor with the Town Attorney's Office?
No. The Town Attorney's Office is not an investigative agency. Any violations of the law must be reported through the local law enforcement agency - usually the Payson Police Department at (928) 474-5177 or locally dial 911 for an emergency. If the complaint involves compliance with the Town's Unified Development Code, contact the Community Development Department at 928-472-5039.

How can I make a complaint against an employee or a Town Department?
The Town Attorney's Offices does not have supervisory authority over any other Town Departments or employees. All complaints about Town Departments should be directed to the Town Manager. 

What rights do I have as a crime victim, and how can the Town Attorney's Office assist me?
Under Arizona law, crime victims have rights. The Town Prosecutor's Office has a person who can explain victim rights, how to exercise those rights and how the criminal justice system works as it relates to a misdemeanor crime victim. For more information, please call Betty Emrick at (928) 472-5021 or email her at

How can I get copies of current State Laws, or proposed State legislation?
Arizona Revised Statutes, as well as proposed State legislation can be found at

Parks & Recreation

Is there a public pool in Payson?
Yes, Taylor Pool is the Town of Payson’s seasonal aquatic center. It is located at 504 N. McLane Rd. The phone number is (928) 474-2774

What are the pool hours & what programs do you offer?
Taylor Pool opening date is yet to be determined for 2018. Pool Hours & Schedules

Do you rent out the pool for private parties?
Yes. The fees vary depending on the number of people attending. Contact Parks & Recreation at (928) 472-5110 to make a reservation.

Are your lifeguards certified?
Town of Payson lifeguards are certified by the American Red Cross. They earn their credentials by attending 36 hours of specialized training. Each lifeguard is certified in Lifeguard Training, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Automated External Defibrillation. They review their skills during weekly in-service trainings.

What types of special events does Parks and Recreation offer?
Please see the Parks, Recreation and Tourism calendar of events for a complete list of events and activities at

Can I pick my child’s coach or team?
No, players are randomly assigned to teams and coaches by a computer software program and staff. Exceptions to this practice include special needs children, siblings or out-of-town commuters.

What do I need to know if I’d like to coach my child’s team?
You will need to come into the Parks and Recreation office and request a Head or Assistant Coaching Form. Please complete the form and return to us. Coaching is not guaranteed, as there are sometimes more coaches than teams available. Background checks will be conducted prior to approval to coach.

What do we do when there is bad weather on a game night?
If you are unsure whether games will be held due to inclement weather, please call the Parks and Recreation Office at (928) 472-5110 before 5pm, or (928) 472-5110 after 5pm. After 5pm, there will be a recording announcing if games have been cancelled or rescheduled.

Why do we need to sign a Parent Code of Conduct?
Parent Code of Conducts help to ensure that adults are aware of behavior expectations during all youth practices and games and that they are accountable for their actions.

What is PATS?
PATS stands for the Payson Area Trails System, which incorporates existing USFS roads and trails on the outskirts of Payson.

Where do I find information on PATS?
There is a conceptual PATS map linked to the Payson Tourism website: under “Maps” that shows all PATS routes, proposed and existing.

What do I do if I have concerns over proposed PATS routes?
For general questions, please contact Maia Crispin at (928) 472-5110. To express more specific concerns over PATS routes that you feel may affect your neighborhood, there will be public opportunities and/or forums that will be provided prior to any trail construction that is within 300 feet of residential areas.

What is the timeline for PATS completion?
PATS is projected to be completed by 2017/18.

Police Department

How do I know if I should dial 911 or the police non-emergency number?
If the situation is life threatening or there is a crime in progress call 911. If you want to report a crime that already occurred, report suspicious activity, have a non-emergency situation or have a question, call (928) 474-5177.

Where is the Payson Police Department located?
303 N. Beeline Hwy. Payson, AZ 85541, ½ block east of Verizon off Malibu Drive.

What are the lobby hours of the police department?
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. excluding holidays.

How can I obtain a copy of my police report, and what will it cost me?
You can request a copy of any police report Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at the front desk of the Police Department, or requested by mail. A Report Request Form can be downloaded here. The request can be completed on the department’s form, or in writing. It must include the name, address and phone number and signature of the requesting party, as well as any information that would assist in filling the request.
Reports cost $7.00 each, up to 15 pages and .25 cents per additional page. It takes approximately 2 weeks to process the request. The Police Department only accepts cash, money orders, or cashier’s checks as a form of payment, no personal checks are accepted for payment.

Does the Payson Police Department do public fingerprinting?
The Payson Police Department provides fingerprints to the public Monday through Thursday, from 8:00 am to Noon, excluding holidays. The fee is $5.00 for the first card, and $3.00 for each additional fingerprint card, You must bring with you a valid Arizona picture identification card, provided by the Motor Vehicle Division, or a valid picture driver license, along with your print card.

Who would I contact for information regarding a Neighborhood Watch program in my area?
Detective Mike Varga at 928-472-5084

Where can I get an Order of Protection or Injunction Against Harassment?
Payson Magistrate Court, 714 S. Beeline Hwy. Payson, AZ 85541.

How many police officers does the Payson Police Department have?
The Payson Police Department currently has 32 certified full time officers, but this number includes detectives and administrative personnel.

How can I obtain a police report number for my insurance company to replace my lost cell phone?
Contact Dispatch at 474-5177, if the cell phone was lost within town limits, and Dispatch will obtain your personal information, as well as the cell phone description, including serial number and cell phone number, make, model, etc., and will issue a departmental report number to you.

What can I do about speeding on our street?
You can call the Payson Police Department at (928) 474-5177 and request the speed trailer, which will display the vehicle speeds and serves as a warning device. You can also find traffic calming strategy information here.

How do I find out about sex offenders living in my neighborhood?
Visit the Department of Public Safety’s Sex Offender Info Center at You will be able to search by zip code and/or name.

If I suspect drug activity, a drug house or methamphetamine lab in my neighborhood, who can I call?
You can call the Payson Police Department at (928) 474-5177.

What hours is Payson Animal Control available?
Normal business hours are Monday through Friday from about 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, although hours may vary slightly. Animal Control Officer's contact number 472-5058. For emergency needs, after hours, contact Payson Police Dispatch at 474-5177.

Can you tell me how long the power will be out?
The police department is usually not notified of emergency power outages and must be reported to your power company, where they may be able to provide additional information.

How can I find out what highways are closed or have special requirements, due to weather or construction?
Dial 511 from any landline or 888-411-7623 from your cell phone for ADOT information.


Can I plant grass?
No New grass or expansion of existing grass areas from seed or sod.

Is it OK to wash my car?
If you use a hose with a positive shut off nozzle and a bucket, it is OK to wash your vehicles.

What about car washes for fund raising?
All car washes for fund raising must be pre-approved by the Water Department.

Is it OK to construct a new pool?
Indoor & Outdoor pools are allowed; however, a water development fee may be required. Under certain Water Level Restrictions, filling and/or refilling would be prohibited. For more information contact the Water Department.

Is it OK to have a hot tub?
Hot tubs are allowed; however, if they are over 500 gallons in size an additional water development fee may be required. Under certain Water Level Restrictions, filling and/or refilling would be prohibited. For more information contact the Water Department.

Are there any other restrictions currently in force?
See Water Level I at a Glance or Resolution #2767 for more information about water waste, leaks, house washing, sidewalks and driveways, etc.

Water-Customer Service

What are your office hours?
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

What are the current water rates?
Monthly Consumption 0-2,000 gallons = $35.00 (plus applicable taxes) Monthly Consumption 2,001-5,000 gallons = $4.72 Per 1,000 Gallons Monthly Consumption 5,001-10,000 gallons = $6.23 Per 1,000 Gallons Monthly Consumption 10,001-20,000 gallons = $7.13 Per 1,000 Gallons Monthly Consumption 20,001 + above = $8.90 Per 1,000 Gallon

When will I receive my monthly water bill?
Water bills are mailed out the last business day of each month with payment due on or about the 15th of the following month.

Where can I make a payment?
A drop box (no stamps/envelopes needed) is located on Malibu Drive before entering the Town Hall complex. Paying with cash? Our office is located at 303A N. Beeline Highway in the southeast corner of the Town Hall Complex. Or, Pay Online.

What are the accepted methods of payment?
AutoPay, Cash, Check, Money Order and Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard)

What is AutoPay?
Never worry about being late or missing a payment. The total amount of your bill will be automatically, electronically deducted from your checking account on or about the 15th of each month. An application and voided check are required to set up this service. Applications are available at the Water Department office or download the AutoPay Authorization and Removal Form here.

Can I make a payment over the phone?
Yes, by calling our third-party provider at 1-888-747-9885. All major credit cards are accepted, including e-checks, however, there is a service fee of $3.05.

Is it necessary to complete an application for water service?
Yes, the Residential Water Application Form needs to be completed in full and brought to the Water Department office along with an appropriate photo ID.

Are deposits required?
Refundable deposits are required to begin water service and you should contact our office at 472-5100 for the deposit amount.

How soon will my water be turned on after I complete the application and pay the deposit?
Within twenty four (24) hours excluding weekends for properties with existing public water service. For properties without existing public water service it may take approximately two weeks.

I’m going on vacation; what can I do about my bill?
You can sign up for AutoPay and have your payment automatically deducted or you can prepay your account, based on your average monthly bill before you leave.

What should I do if I’m having a water emergency inside my home?
If you have your own customer shutoff valve, turn your water off and call a plumber. If you do not have your own private shutoff valve call the Water Department at 472-5100 and we will dispatch a service person to turn your water off. Service Fees or After-Hours Fees may apply.

What should I do if I find that I have a leak?
Per Resolution #235, homes constructed after 7/29/80 require a shutoff valve on the customer side of the Town’s meter. Location of customer valves may vary. Proper installation places them within 1-2 ft of the Town’s meter. These valves are for customers to shut off their water if a leak occurs. To prepare for home disasters, it is a good practice to locate your customer shutoff valve. If customer shutoff valve cannot be located, contact the Water Dept. to turn off the town’s meter. If these situations occur after hours, a fee may be assessed to your account. For your future protection and convenience, please consider having a customer shutoff valve installed.

Can I use the valve on the meter to turn my water on and off?
No, the valve on the meter should only be used by Water Department personnel. Every home should be equipped with a customer shutoff valve, normally located on the customer’s property near the meter box. See Customer Shutoff Spec Sheet. If you do not have a customer shutoff valve we highly recommend that you have one installed.

My water usage is higher than I expected. What are the most common causes?
1) Toilet; 2) Irrigation systems or outdoor plumbing; 3) Leaky faucet or plumbing fixtures; 4) Cooler &/or cooler lines.

How can I check to see if I have any leaks?
See our helpful brochures How to Read your Water Meter and Stop Leaks Now.


What is the sales tax rate for Payson?
Payson's sales tax rate is 9.6%, which includes 5.6% State Tax, 1% Gila County Tax, and 3% Town of Payson tax. Please see our tax code document for more information.

What is the rental tax rate for Payson?
If you own 3 or more residential rental units, the tax rate is 3%.
If you own less than 3 residential rental units, you are exempt from State tax. Please see Sec. 8A-445 of the Arizona State tax code document for this information.

What is the bed tax rate in Payson?
The bed tax rate in Payson is 5%, effective August 1, 2010.



Copyright ©2004-2018. Electronic Commerce Link, Inc. dba egovlink.