Click here to return to the E-Government Services start page

Welcome to the Village of Lansing, IL, FAQ
Today is Sunday, April 14, 2024.

Search FAQ:



Do I need a permit for a Block Party
Any Village resident that wants to hold a block party must first be aware of the Block Party Instructions. You must come to the Lansing Police Department located at 2710 170th St. and give the Petition to the Support Services section of the Lansing Police Department. You will then receive a permit and will be able to pick up barricades from the Lansing Public Works Department located at 3300 block of 171st Street in Lansing, IL. For more information contact Officer Kowalski for more information.

What are the Village Office hours?
Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM (the Building Dept. is open from 7am-4pm M-F) Saturday 9am-Noon

Do I need a permit for a garage/estate or yard sale?
You are required to obtain a permit to have a garage/estate or yard sale. The fee for the permit is $5.00. The permit form can also be obtained at the Lansing Municipal Center 3141 Ridge Road, Lansing, IL. Any questions you have should be directed to 708.895-7200.

How do I request a FOIA?
The Village of Lansing requires any person requesting public record information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), (5ILCS 140/), do so in writing. All requests must be submitted by mail, personal delivery, fax or email. PROCEDURES FOR REQUESTING PUBLIC RECORDS Any request for public records in accordance with the FOIA and this Policy, shall be submitted to Office of the Executive Assistant, Attn.: Vivian Payne c/o Village of Lansing, 3141 Ridge Road, Lansing, IL 60438 Fax: (708) 832-4544 Requests for public records made in accordance with the FOIA and this Policy shall include the following information: The requester’s full name, address and phone number; A description of the public records sought; and Whether the request is for the inspection of public records, copies of public records or both. FEE FOR DUPLICATION AND/OR CERTIFYING OF RECORDS No fees shall be charged for the first fifty (50) pages of black and white, letter or legal sized copies. Fees for black and white copies in excess of fifty (50) pages, color copies, certification and other documents shall be as follows: .15 cents per page thereafter.


Does the Village require dog/cat tags?
Licenses are required for all dogs and cats each year.The annual fee is $5.00 Forms can be obtained at the Clerks Office. To obtain a license you must provide: Name and address of the dog or cat owner Gender Breed Color

Water Bills

When are water bills due?
Water/garbage bills are mailed out around the 1st of each month and are due by the 15th of every month, unless the 15th falls on a Sunday.

How do I pay my Water Bill?
The Village is on a quarterly billing system. Residents receive a water bill every three months and the net amount is due within 15 days. You can pay your water and sewer bill directly thru Illinois E-Pay. (Accounts where the water has been shut off are not eligible for online payments and must be paid at Village Hall or via mail directly.) The Village offers several payment options to accommodate the needs of our customers: Set it and forget it with .AutoPay (direct debit) from your checking account. Payment will be automatically deducted from your bank account on the billing due date. Click on the .AutoPay link above for more information. Pay your bill in person at the following location with cash, check or charge card. (VISA, Discover and MasterCard accepted.) There is also a night dropbox located on the south side of Village Hall for convenience after normal business hours.

Is there a senior citizen discount for Garbage and Sewer Rates?
Yes, senior citizens can save off the price for Garbage and Refuse rate. However, seniors must show apply in person showing proof of identification and age (65 years or older), must reside in a single-family unit, a duplex unit, or a multi-dwelling unit, and must also be the subscriber to the system.

How do I get my water turned back on once it is shut off?
You must come to the Lansing Municipal Center and pay the balance of your water bill in cash or using a debit/credit card. An additional penalty fee will be imposed, which must be paid along with the balance.

Building Department

Are contractors required to register with the Building Department?
Yes, any contractor working within the Village of Lansing is required to obtain registration with the Building Department prior to starting the work.

When is a Building Permit required?
Permits are required for the following improvements: 1. To establish any new use of property. 2. To change the use of any building, structure, or land from one use to another. 3. To excavate or change the grade of the property. 4. To erect, construct, alter, enlarge, or move any building or structure which would include, but not be limited to: additions, garages, signs, sheds, decks, porches, patios, swimming pools, fences, retaining walls, a fireplace, car ports, a canopy, a satellite dish 36" or greater, public sidewalks, driveways, and lawn sprinkling systems. 5. For installations of plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems. 6. For alterations or replacement of water supply lines, sanitary and storm sewer drainage lines, soil, waste lines, vent lines, gas lines, or similar piping, electrical wiring and electrical services, mechanical systems, re-roofs and siding. 7. For alterations and repairs, which include the cutting away of any wall portion; the removal or cutting of any structural beams or bearing support; the removal or change of any required means of egress affecting the exit requirements for the building (please note, replacement of doors and windows with the same size operating standard does not constitute a change). 8. To demolish or remove a building or structure.

What are the swimming pool regulations within the Village of Lansing?
All swimming pools with a designed height of 24” or deeper are required to have a permit. These pools are also required to have a safety barrier (fence) with a minimum height of 4 feet completely around the pool, and have a self-closing, self-locking gate. Also, if the pool is provided a filter, the filter must have a UL label, and proper electric service is required. No extension cords are allowed.

Community Events

How do I submit information about a community event for the Village's website, marquee and/or social media sites?
Community events are listed on the City's website when submitted by the organization. Events can also be advertised to the community by those who have subscribed to the Community Updates & Events electronic newsletter on the home page of the Village's website. A community-wide event is an event open to the public wherein funds and/or outcomes benefit the community. A specific email address will provide a “place” to send notifications: Send an email to in order to alert our staff as to the Type of Event: Date of Event: Contact Name: Contact Email: Contact Phone: Contact Website (if applicable): Do you want a sign up form?: Cost of Event: Location of Event: Time of Event:

Police Department

What is the non-Emergency Number for the Police Department?
Citizens are encouraged to report information about any crimes happening in the Village of Lansing. Any person with information involving criminal activity can anonymously contact the Lansing Police Departments Crime HOTLINE at 708-895-7105.



Village Home | E-Gov Home | Citizen Requests | FAQ
Login | Register | Privacy Policy
Copyright ©2004-2024. Electronic Commerce Link, Inc. dba egovlink.