Oversees one of the City’s Wastewater Treatment Plants, to include performing responsible work in supervising the Plant operations and personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Plans, schedules, coordinates, supervises, and evaluates the activities of treatment plant operators and maintenance personnel who provide skilled labor necessary to operate and maintain the facility and grounds on an around the clock basis. Schedules and routinely monitors the sampling and permit process to ensure compliance with same. Maintains records of plant operations, test results, personnel activities, work assignments, materials utilized, equipment condition, and safety. Trains skilled and entry level personnel in general and specific plant operations, safety procedures, and city regulations. Assists the Division Manager in the budget preparation process. Occasionally performs the same duties as those supervised on an as needed basis. Interprets plans, drawings, wiring diagrams, and specifications. Performs electrical repairs on equipment and machinery, monitors control panels, and adjusts valves and gates to modify sewage flow. Collects sewage samples and conducts chemical analysis tests, and handles chlorine cylinders and materials. Operates City vehicles and light trailers on public roadways. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive listing of essential job functions; the performance of other essential functions may be required. Works in confined spaces and hazardous areas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Thorough knowledge of wastewater treatment plant operations, principles, practices, equipment, and machinery.
• Working knowledge of electrical controls and telemetry equipment.
• Some knowledge of certification in confined space access and communicable disease control.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; plan, organize, supervise, and evaluate the work of wastewater plant operators and maintenance personnel working on shifts; prepare and maintain required records and reports; and work with computers and various software packages including SCADA systems.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Five years’ experience in the operation of wastewater treatment facilities; supervisory experience preferred.
• Possession of a Florida Department of Environment Protection Class “A” Wastewater Certificate.
• An equivalent combination of training and experience determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
• Must have a valid State of Florida drivers’ license and a good driving record as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
• Absence of non-prescribed controlled substances in the applicant’s system as verified by a laboratory approved by the City of Winter Haven.
• Must have the physical ability, strength, and flexibility to perform the job functions in the work environment.
• Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
“EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional service.