The City of Winter Haven’s Parks, Recreation and Culture Department is seeking to add to their team a compassionate and driven leader who will oversee the City of Winter Haven’s Senior Center. A hub for service to the senior community, the Senior Center provides a variety of resources and social connections to these individuals. The City is looking to grow and expand the connections and offerings from this facility – you could be the right one to join an awesome team and lead to an even greater service opportunity to the community.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Supervises and coordinates the Parks, Recreation & Culture program offered at the Senior Adult Center. Plans, organizes, coordinates, and implements a wide variety of recreation activities including instructional and social activities and special community-wide activities. Ensures that programs operate within established guidelines and in accordance with City and departmental policies and procedures. Trains and supervises staff and volunteers assigned to work programs. Acquires necessary materials and supplies for recreation activities and sets up facilities for events. Conducts frequent inspections of facilities to assure cleanliness, safety, and proper function. Serves as liaison with groups in planning various recreation activities. Publicizes activities and responds to public inquiries concerning programs offered. Schedules and conducts program registrations; collects fees, issues receipts, reconciles funds, and prepares same for deposit in a timely manner. Assists with facility rentals and special events as needed. Performs office duties which include assisting with the preparation of the recreation budget; preparing and processing work orders and requisitions; and preparing and maintaining related records and reports. Operates office equipment including a computer, copy machine and fax machine. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive listing of essential job functions; the performance of other essential functions may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Thorough knowledge and ability to plan, organize, and conduct recreation programs and activities.
• Ability to supervise staff and volunteers, as well as manage a recreation facility; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, special interest groups and the general public.
• Must have strong organizational skills; the ability to effectively communicate with personnel and the general public, both verbally and in writing; and be able to solve problems under stressful circumstances using independent and sound judgment.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with a degree in Recreation or related field.
• Two years’ experience in programming a variety of recreation activities.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that is determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
• Must be able to drive a 15 passenger van; must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• Possession of a valid Florida drivers’ license and a good driving record as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
• Absence of non-prescribed controlled substances in the applicant’s system as verified through a screening process by a laboratory approved by the City of Winter Haven.
• Must have the physical ability, strength, and flexibility to perform the job functions in the work environment.
• Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
“EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional service.