Click here to return to the E-Government Services start page

Welcome to the City of Lockport, IL, FAQ
Today is Friday, November 24, 2017.

Search FAQ:


Does the city give a "summer" discount on water/sewer?
No, the city no longer gives "summer" discounts for water/sewer. That program was discontinued in 2011.

Garbage Service

Will Waste Management take appliances/furniture?
The City has an inclusive contract with Waste Management. Furniture and appliances will be collected on your regular pick-up day. Furniture will be taken at your regular pick-up time, but appliances will be collected later in the day by a separate truck. However, only one furniture OR appliance item will be picked up per week.

Will Waste Management pick up construction debris?
Waste Management will collect construction/demolition debris from do-it-yourself remodeling projects; however, it is limited to 1 cubic yard. Bundled wood and other debris cannot exceed 4 feet in length; and smaller debris must be in a rigid can or container.

Will Waste Management collect carpet?
Waste Management will collect carpet, but it must be rolled and tied with a string, and it is limited to 8 rolls per week.

Will Waste Management collect Christmas trees?
Waste Management will collect Christmas trees during the month of January on your regular pick-up day.

Will Waste Management collect brush?
Waste Management will collect unlimited brush on your regular pick-up day, however all brush must be in bio-degradable bags (no pre-paid sticker required). Leaves must be packed in kraft bio-degradable bags as well.

Will Waste Management collect grass clippings and yard waste?
Waste Management will collect yard waste starting April 1st through November of each year, on your regular collection day. All yard waste materials must be in kraft-type biodegradable bags. NOTE: pre-paid stickers are no longer needed. Branches and bundles will also be collected on the same day; provided that they are properly secured with string or twine. Branch bundles should not exceed 4 feet in length and each bundle should not weigh more than 50 pounds. You can also rent yard waste carts for $2.00/month, for a one-year minimum, if you do not want to use kraft paper bags. These carts can be used for garbage during the winter months as well. To order this yard waste container, please call the Water Department at (815) 838-0549, option 3; or you can go to, Service Request, Action Line, and click on the appropriate category. Your request will be processed and you will receive a tracking number.

What will NOT be collected by Waste Management?
Waste Management will not collect large, heavy automotive parts such as engine blocks, tires, concrete, gravel, dirt or similar materials, automotive batteries, paint products, insecticides, oil, anti-freeze, or any other hazardous waste products. To find a location that will accept these materials, please call Will County Land Use Department at 815-774-3321, or call the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency at 217-782-9285, for more information.

Can I rent an extra garbage or recycling tote?
Yes, you can rent an additional garbage tote at an additional cost of $2.00 per month. Just call the City's Water Department at 815-838-0549, option 3; or you can go to, Service Request, Action Line, and click on the appropriate category. Your request will be processed and you will receive a tracking number.

Can I set out additional garbage/recycling containers and/or bags aside from the carts that were provided?
Yes, since we have an inclusive contract, Waste Management will collect additional bags/containers of garbage and/or recycling. However, additional containers must not exceed 32 gallons or 50 pounds each.

What is the holiday schedule for garbage collection?
Garbage/Recycling will not be picked up on New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas Day. It will be collected one day after your normal pick-up day.

Is there a senior discount for garbage service?
Yes, seniors receive a discounted rate for garbage service. To qualify, seniors must be at least 65 years of age and reside in a single-family dwelling or duplex. Proof of age is required. Please come to the Water Department at 222 E. 9th Street, 2nd Floor to apply.


Does the City require dog/cat tags?
Yes, the City requires a tag for dogs and cats. The cost is $3.00 for the first animal and $1.50 for any other dog/cat. General information regarding the animal(s) is required as well as the Rabies number issued for the animal(s).

How many dogs/cats are allowed in one residence?
The City ordinance reads, "no person shall own or harbor more than a maximum or a combination of four dogs and/or cats with no more than three dogs or three cats in any residence. Also, no person shall own or harbor more than two rabbits, ferrets, or guinea pigs in a residential unit.

What can I do if I find a stray/wild animal?
Please call the Police Department non-emergency number at 815-838-2132 if you encounter a stray/wild dog, cat, raccoon, skunk, or possum. If it's after business hours (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., M-F), please call the dispatch center at 815-838-2131.

Engineering Department

Is my final grading approved?
Before calling the City, check with your builder to verify that the final survey has been submitted. If the survey has been submitted, your next step would be to contact the Building Department to check the status of the survey. When the Building Department receives the survey from the builder, it is sent to the Engineering Department. The Engineering Department has 5 working days to review the survey and make a field inspection. The survey is then marked "Rejected" or "Approved". If the survey is rejected, it is up to the builder to correct the problems and then submit a new survey. The Engineering Department will not make another inspection until a new survey is received.

Do you have a list of survey benchmarks?
The City of Lockport utilizes FEMA and Will County benchmarks. Benchmark information can also be obtained from the National Geodetic Survey at, select Illinois and Will County.

I want to tie my sump pump into the storm structure in my rear yard. Do I need a permit?
Many homeowners prefer to tie their sump pumps into rear yard storm sewers. You will not need a permit to perform this work; however, the tie-in to the storm sewer will need to be inspected. To schedule an inspection, please contact the Engineering Department a minimum of one day ahead of time.

I am experiencing a drainage problem. What do I do next?
Subdivisions are designed to convey stormwater through storm sewer and overland flow routes to the detention ponds. Many lots are designed with swales through the side yards and rear yards to collect sotrm water run-off. These areas are designed to be wet during storms. If these areas are wet or soggy during and immedicately after rainfalls, then ddry up within several days, they are operating correctly. If the areas remain wet for weeks after the last rainfall, there may be a drainage problem. It is important that homeowners do not obstruct overland flow routes or swales with landscaping, sandboxes, sheds, or other items. If the swales are obstructed, it may cause standing water in the yard or lead to other drainage problems.

Is my property in a floodplain?
FEMA determines if a property is in a floodplain. FEMA regularly publishes maps that show the location of floodplain. The City has a set of maps for the public to view. The maps may be viewed at the Engineering Department office. Please call ahead. If you want more information, you may go to FEMA's website at

Has my landscaping been approved and when will I receive my refund?
Landscaping approvals are conducted by the Engineering Department. However, to schedule an inspection for landscaping, contact the Building Department. Refunds are handled by the Building Department. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to process the refund after approval is given.

I want to regrade my yard. Do I need a permit?
A Grading Permit is needed and it can be obtained through the Building Department. The City will not allow any grade changes to be made at the property lines without submitting a complete plan for approval.

My neighbor's sump pump is discharging onto my property. How can I make them stop this?
The City of Lockport's ordinance states that the "drainage of roofs, paved yards, yards and courts, and other open areas on the premises, and sump pumps, shall not discharge in a manner that creates a nuisance to adjoining properties. The City advises property owners to redirect their sump pump discharge to an area that will not cause a nuisance to neighbors.

My final grading is not approved. Why can't I install a fence/pool/shed?
The Engineering Department spends a lot of time and energy to ensure that final grading is performed per the approved plan. If the final grading is not constructed per the approved plan, it will be rejected and dthe builder will be required to correct any deficiencies. It is very important that the homeowner does nothing to disturb their yard prior to approval of the final grading. If the yard is disturbed or altered, it becomes very difficult for the City to force the builder to correct any problems. If the disturbance is caused by the homeowner, the builder will refuse to correct the problem. We advise homeowners not to do any landscaping or install any items in their yards until the final grading survey is approved.

Who do I contact regarding the City's Sidewalk Program.
Contact Amy Wagner at 815-838-0549, ext. 2315, or


What are the phone numbers for the utility companies that service Lockport?
Nicor (natural gas) 888-642-6748 ComEd (electricity) 800-955-8237 AT&T 888-611-4466 Comcast 866-594-1234

What are the factors in determining how ComEd trims trees?
Please go to treesandpowerlines/frequentlyaskedquestions.htm to view information pertaining to the ComEd Tree Trimming Agreement.

Who do I contact to rent Central Square Gym?
Contact the Lockport Township Park District at 815-838-1183 for gym rentals.

What are the hours of operation for the City's departments?
Clerk's Office/Water Department/Finance/Administration 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. 222 E. 9th Street, 2nd Floor Building/Planning Departments 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 921 S. State Street Public Works 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. 17112 Prime Blvd. Engineering Department 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m. 17112 Prime Blvd. Police Department 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m. 1212 Farrell Road

Does the City have a transfer tax?
No, the City of Lockport does not impose a transfer tax.

What is the phone number and information for the Lockport Township Senior Shuttle Bus?
The phone number is 800-409-9032. The senior shuttle bus will transport senior citizens that live within Lockport Township to and from their doctors' offices. The bus will provide door to door service for seniors 60 years or older. The cost is $2.00 round trip. The bus runs from 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Remember, 24-HOUR NOTICE IS REQUIRED!

What is the EMA?
EMA stands for Emergency Management Agency. The City's EMA is comprised of a Director, Phil Rittenhouse, and several volunteers. The members are trained to assist in emergencies, whether traffic related, weather related, etc. Contact 815-671-9498 for any issues. LOCKPORT EMA IS CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR MORE VOLUNTEERS. Please contact Phil Rittenhouse if you are interested.

Is there Pace bus service in Lockport?
Yes, Pace bus service is available in Lockport. There are routes from Joliet to Orland, with stops in Lockport. pace- joliet-downers schedu.pdfpace- orland schedule.pdf


If I have to leave my car overnight at the Metra lot, who do I contact?
You must contact the Police Department at 815-838-2132, or our dispatch center (if it's after business hours) at 815-838-2131.

Who do I contact for overnight parking for guests?
Please contact the Police Department at 815-838-2132 during normal business hours, or the dispatch center at 815-838-2131 after hours. Please provide the address, the model/make of car, and license plate number.

Is overnight parking allowed?
According to City ordinance, no person shall park any vehicle on a public street with a curb between the hours of 3 a.m. and 6 a.m., or any time there has been more than 2 inches of snow.

Vehicle Stickers

Do I need to purchase a vehicle sticker?
Yes, it is a City ordinance that all vehicles registered in the City of Lockport have a current vehicle sticker visible. Vehicle stickers for City of Lockport residents are available starting November 1st of every year through January 31st of every year.

What is the cost per vehicle sticker?
Stickers purchased during the period of November 1 through December 31 are sold at a discounted price of $18.00 per sticker. Stickers bought from January 1 through January 31 will cost $20.00. These prices are valid for passenger vehicles, motorcycles and pickup trucks (B plates). Stickers for trucks with D plates (and over) are $73.00 up to December 31, or $75.00 if purchased after January 1; and stickers for Dealer plates are $15.00.

Are vehicle stickers transferrable?
Yes, if you purchased a vehicle sticker for a particular vehicle but then sold it, assuming the sticker was not affixed to the vehicle you sold, you can call the Lockport Police Department at 838-2132 to transfer the sticker. Just give the clerk the make/model/year of the new vehicle.

Is there a senior discount for vehicle stickers?
Yes, Senior Citizens can receive an additional 50% savings per sticker for up to 2 vehicles.

Is there a penalty if I do not purchase a vehicle sticker between November 1 and January 31?
Yes, after January 31, a $20 penalty fee per sticker will be imposed.

Where are vehicle stickers sold?
Vehicle stickers are sold at the Lockport Police Department, 1212 Farrell Road, the Lockport Water Department, 222 E. 9th Street, or Corwin's Pharmacy, 944 E. 9th Street.

Water Bills

When are water bills due?
Water/garbage bills are mailed out around the 1st of each month and are due by the 15th of every month.

Is there a senior citizen discount for water/sewer?
Yes, senior citizens can save 50% off the price for water, up to 3,000 gallons. However, seniors must show apply in person showing proof of identification and age (65 years or older), must reside in a single-family unit, a duplex unit, or a multi-dwelling unit, and must also be the subscriber to the system.

How do I get my water turned back on once it is shut off?
You must come to the Water Department and pay the balance of your water bill in cash. A $20 penalty fee will be imposed, which must be paid along with the balance.

Building Department

Are contractors required to register with the Building Department?
Yes, any contractor working within the City of Lockport is required to obtain registration with the Building Department prior to starting the work.

Where do residents drop off their RPZ reports?
All homeowners that have a sprinkler system are required to submit an annual RPZ test report PRIOR to activating their sprinkler system for the season. The RPZ test must be performed by a licensed plumber that has a cross-connector license as well. Reports can be sent to Jamie Myers via fax (815) 588-0111, or mail to 921 S. State Street, Lockport, IL 60441.

When is a Building Permit required?
Permits are required for the following improvements: 1. To establish any new use of property. 2. To change the use of any building, structure, or land from one use to another. 3. To excavate or change the grade of the property. 4. To erect, construct, alter, enlarge, or move any building or structure which would include, but not be limited to: additions, garages, signs, sheds, decks, porches, patios, swimming pools, fences, retaining walls, a fireplace, car ports, a canopy, a satellite dish 36" or greater, public sidewalks, driveways, and lawn sprinkling systems. 5. For installations of plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems. 6. For alterations or replacement of water supply lines, sanitary and storm sewer drainage lines, soil, waste lines, vent lines, gas lines, or similar piping, electrical wiring and electrical services, mechanical systems, re-roofs and siding. 7. For alterations and repairs, which include the cutting away of any wall portion; the removal or cutting of any structural beams or bearing support; the removal or change of any required means of egress affecting the exit requirements for the building (please note, replacement of doors and windows with the same size operating standard does not constitute a change). 8. To demolish or remove a building or structure.

When is a Building Permit NOT required?
A permit is not required for ordinary, non-structural repairs, including, but not limited to the following: 1. Painting 2. Patching 3. Tuckpointing 4. Patching a roof 5. Replacement of floor coverings 6. Kitchen cabinets 7. Wall coverings 8. Electrical fixtures or plumbing including hot water heaters or water softeners 9. Installation of private sidewalks 10. Installation of aluminum fascia, soffits, or gutters 11. Installation of windows or doors of the same size and type 12. Installation of storm windows or storm doors

What is J.U.L.I.E. and what is the number?
J.U.L.I.E. stands for Joint Utilities Locating Information for Excavators. J.U.L.I.E. will locate and mark each underground utility before excavation work begins. Therefore, you MUST call J.U.L.I.E. prior to digging (800) 892-0123.

What are the swimming pool regulations within the City of Lockport?
All swimming pools with a designed height of 24 or deeper are required to have a permit. These pools are also required to have a safety barrier (fence) with a minimum height of 4 feet completely around the pool, and have a self-closing, self-locking gate. Also, if the pool is provided a filter, the filter must have a UL label, and proper electric service is required. No extension cords are allowed.



Copyright ©2004-2017. Electronic Commerce Link, Inc. dba egovlink.